Accession N-1994-006 - Canada. Department of Interior. Yukon and Northwest Territories Branch

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Canada. Department of Interior. Yukon and Northwest Territories Branch

General material designation

  • Cartographic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Accession

Reference code

N-1994-006

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1923 (Creation)
    Creator
    Canada. Department of the Interior

Physical description area

Physical description

four cartographic sheets

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The federal Department of the Interior was established on May 3, 1873, absorbing some of the functions of the former Department of the Secretary of State for the Provinces. The department was established to administer and develop the newly acquired territories in the West. It included a Surveys Branch, which was responsible for surveying and mapping and in 1922 a Northwest Territories and Yukon Branch was organized to administer the northern territories. The Surveys Branch was renamed the Technical Branch in 1883, and in 1890 the Topographical Surveys Branch. On June 23, 1936, the Department of the Interior amalgamated with the Department of Mines and the Department of Immigration and Colonization to form a new Department of Mines and Resources.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This accession consists of four cartographic sheets which collectively are entitled Map of Great Slave Lake and Hudson Bay. They were originally published by the Federal government in 1900 and reprinted in 1923, to accompany a report by J.B. Tyrell. They are stamped Department of Interior-Yukon and Northwest Territories Branch. They are annotated with the inscription "help yourself". (:0001) is entitled Sheet No. 1 and shows McLeod Bay in the east end of Great Slave Lake, the water route to Artillery Lake, Lac Du Bois, Casba Lake, Campbell Lake and Sifton Lake. (:0002) is entitled Sheet No. 2 and shows the Thelon River. It includes Granite Falls and Hanbury River. (:0003) Sheet No. 3A and 3B shows the Thelon River and includes Beverly Lake and Aberdeen Lake. (:0004) is entitled Sheet No. 4 and shows the lower Thelon River and includes Schultz Lake and Baker Lake. The maps also show Dene and Inuit encampments along the Thelon River. There are no copies of these maps on deposit with either the National Archives of Canada or the National Museum of Civilization.

Notes area

Physical condition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No access restrictions.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

AIMS records

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Rights

Public domain.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Acquisition area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres