The prints feature river transportation, the Canol Project, Norman Wells, Fort Smith, Fort Simpson, Fort Providence, and Aklavik. They are believed to have been taken by George Zuckerman to illustrate the book "The Great Mackenzie".Zuckerman, George
This accession consists of three colour slides: an aerial view of Tuktoyaktuk in 1952, and two slides of the Hudson's Bay Company ship "Fort Hearne" (n.d.).
Photographs depict Yvette L. Park (nee Boileau). A sergeant in the Women's Army Corps in WWII, Mrs. Park visited her sister Leona Kirk in Aklavik in the late summer of 1946 after returning from overseas. While in Aklavik, Mrs. Park had a parka and mukluks made which have since been donated to the Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre. Mrs. Park was in Aklavik only 3 weeks and had the clothing sent to her in Timmins, Ontario. Three of the eight photographs are of the donor in Timmins in 1947 modeling the clothing.
This accession consists of photocopies of the English translations of the French/Loucheux (Gwich'in) entries in Emile Petitot's "Dictionnaire De La Langue DSnS - Dindji,", (Paris, 1876). The translations were prepared jointly by the Yukon Native Languages Project and the Alaska Native Languages Center.
The records include bylaws, correspondence, minutes, financial records, guides and manuals, member lists, agendas, newsletters, and a scrapbook. They weregenerated by the Yellowknife Toastmistress Club from its foundation in 1968 until early 1974, although the majority of the records only go to 1972.
The first plan, dated March 8th, 1950, indicates lot boundaries for the new and old town areas of the city, as well as the proposed development of the new airport. The second plan, dated December 14th, 1953, details individual lot boundaries for Jolliffe Island, Latham Island, and the old and new town areas of the city.
The majority of the photographs are black and white and date from the 1940s. A few of the images are colour and date from the 1960s and 1970s. The photographs were donated to the Society for duplication by a number of individuals. A number of the images were copied from high school yearbooks or newspapers. Some of the images may have been taken by Henry Busse. Subjects include Negus Mine, curling, hockey, dogsledding, horses, schoolchildren, views of 'Old Town' and the 'Rock', Ndilo, and 'New Town' images of the Yellowknife Inn, the Anglican Church, Yellowknife Public School (later William McDonald School) and housing developments.
Records relate to the Yellowknife Public Library's Oral History Project dating from 1984-1985. The cassette tapes contain recorded interviews with prominent Yellowknife residents who were pioneers in their endeavours. Many of the interviewees and their families arrived in Yellowknife as the community began in the late 1930s and 1940s. Interviewees include Barb Bromley, Mary Hunter, Archie Loutitt, Arnold Smith, Helen Parker, Jean Piro, Joyce McLeod, Donald Sian, Michael Ballantyne, Harold Glick, Rene Fumoleau, Jan Stirling, Gerry Hordal, and Mary Forrest. The folder of text contains a master working list of prospective interviewees, 'local history files' or personal profiles of most participants, as well as general documents relating to the methodology for creating oral histories. The three colour prints are of former Yellowknife mayor and territorial MLA Mike Ballantyne.
This accession consists of 4 photographs (3 black and white postcards, one print) of Yellowknife in the 1930s.
The images date from the late 1930s and include subjects such as Negus mine, camp life at Negus, Consolidated Mining and Smelting Company Ltd. (Con mine), cat trains, water transportation, buildings such as the Wildcat Café, Yellowknife Hotel, Yellowknife Drug Store, Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, as well as images of many unidentified people.
Records include photographs taken by participants in the Discover Yellowknife contest. The photographs show people and places in Yellowknife.
Records include photographs relating to musical events in Yellowknife in the early 1980s. Subjects include the Womenfolk group performing at Folk on the Rocks and the Society for the Encouragement of Northern Talent (SENT). Other identified people include Susie Edmonds, Miriam Wideman, Moon Joyce, and Jim Green.
Records include a certificate of incorporation, by-laws, meeting minutes, annual reports, correspondence regarding the Society, museum, and other projects, building plans for the Museum of the North, museum opening records, including a speech and guest book, a brief and agreement with the Territorial government, and information about various artifacts and archives held by the Society.
Included are photos taken in Cambridge Bay in 1947, donated by Mr. West, a Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) member, and photos belonging to or taken by A. Wight, in locations across the Northwest Territories between 1916 to 1930. The images feature: missions; Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and Royal North West Mounted Police (RNWMP), buildings and personnel; Distant Early Warning (DEW) line sites; Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) buildings and schooners; Captain Bernard; and activities at Reindeer Station. Locations include Chesterfield Inlet, Lake Harbour, Herschel Island, Port Burwell, Rankin Inlet, and Sachs Harbour, among others.
The images include mine sites, Arctic Red River in 1925, river transportation, a hand coloured photo of Fort Simpson taken by C. W. Mathers, circa 1901, the Ingraham hotel, 1947, reindeer at Richard Island and a rock inscribed "S. Hearne, July 1767."
The records are entirely composed of a brief submitted to the Commissioner and Council of the Northwest Territories by the Yellowknife Museum Society on Territorial Public Archives. The brief includes the signatures of the members of the Yellowknife Museum Society Executive.
This artificial collection includes photos of Jean Marie River, Aklavik in the 1920s, Norman Wells, Fort McPherson as early as 1916, Fort Simpson, mining, oil wells, Port Radium, the Labine brothers, Fort Norman, and Fort Resolution.