Education, K-12

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

  • Here are entered works on elementary and secondary education

Source note(s)

  • NWTA

Display note(s)

    Hierarchical terms

    Education, K-12

    Education, K-12

      Equivalent terms

      Education, K-12

      • UF Elementary education
      • UF Primary school
      • UF High school
      • UF Secondary education
      • UF Schools

      Associated terms

      Education, K-12

      20 Authority record results for Education, K-12

      20 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
      Corporate body

      Gordon Robertson Education Centre (GREC) opened in 1971 as a junior and senior high school and vocational school. In addition to local students from Iqaluit, its enrolment included students from other communities who were housed in Ukkivik Hall, which opened along with GREC and closed in 1996. In the early 1990s, the school was renamed Inuksuk High School.

      Corporate body · 1966-2012

      Samuel Hearne Secondary School (SHSS) began operating in 1966 and was officially opened two years later by Minister Jean Chretien. Prior to 1966, Inuvik students from all grades attended Sir Alexander Mackenzie School, which continued operating as an elementary school after SHSS opened. The school was originally administered by the federal government; it was transferred to the Government of the Northwest Territories in 1969, and then to the Beaufort-Delta Divisional Education Council, which was established in 1989 to administer regional schools.

      The original high school building included two science rooms, a library, industrial arts and home economics facilities and a gym. A 10 classroom addition was completed in 1972, and several trade shops were added in the early 1980s to meet the needs of a vocational certificate program, including an auto shop in 1982, carpentry shop in 1983, and general mechanics shop in 1984.

      In addition to residents of the town of Inuvik, the student body at SHSS also included residential school students brought from communities across the Beaufort Delta region and the Arctic to stay at the two major Federal hostels, Stringer Hall (which closed in 1975) and Grollier Hall (which closed in 1996). After the closure of the hostels, students from some small communities continued to attend SHSS for the upper high school grades while boarding in private homes in the town.

      SHSS closed in 2012 when it was replaced by the new East Three Secondary School, and the building was demolished in June 2013.

      Corporate body · 1977-1988

      Galena Heights Elementary School opened in 1977, originally housing pupils from kindergarten to grade two. Galena Heights Elementary School was expanded in 1980 to host students up to grade five after a fire destroyed the other school in the town; the rebuilt Matonabbee School opened in 1981 for the senior grades. Both schools closed in June 1988 with the closure of the mine and community of Pine Point.

      Sachs Harbour School
      Corporate body · 1968-1973

      The Sachs Harbour School was constructed in the summer of 1968, first opening in fall 1968 to students in grades 1-6 and originally operated by the federal government. Prior to the school being built, children were sent to Shingle Point, Aklavik, then Inuvik for schooling, and after its construction, older students continued to go to Inuvik for later grades. This school was transferred to the GNWT when it assumed responsibility for education in 1969, and was replaced by Inualthuyuk School which opened in 1973.

      Corporate body

      The provision of western education in Inuvik began immediately during the community’s construction, with a temporary Federal school in 1956. Several of the attending children came from Aklavik, from where community government officials were strongly encouraging families to relocate. In 1959 a large new regional school opened, officially named Sir Alexander Mackenzie School (SAMS) in 1961. This school housed all grades until Samuel Hearne Secondary School was built in 1966. By that time SAMS had 38 classrooms and capacity for 890 students from grades 1 to 12.

      In 1969 all educational facilities in Inuvik were transferred to the Government of the Northwest Territories, who assumed responsibilities for education from the federal government. The Beaufort-Delta Divisional Education Council was established in 1989 to administer regional schools.

      In addition to residents of the town of Inuvik, the student body at SAMS for much of its history also included residential school students brought from communities across the Beaufort Delta region and the Arctic to stay at the two major Federal hostels, Stringer Hall (which closed in 1975) and Grollier Hall (which closed in 1996).

      SAMS continued to operate as an elementary school until 2012, when it was replaced by the new East Three Elementary School. The SAMS building was demolished in May 2014.

      Corporate body

      The Norman Wells Federal Day School opened in 1960, and was transferred to the territorial government when it assumed responsibility for education in 1969. The school was originally a one room school located on the river bank, and classes were relocated several times, operating out of portable classrooms through most of the 1970s. It was replaced by the Mackenzie Mountain School, which opened in 1983.

      Corporate body

      The Fort Norman Federal Day School, also known as the Colin Campbell School, was constructed in 1949 or 1950 in the community now known as Tulita. It initially had two classrooms, with a third added in 1968/69. In 1969 the facility was taken over by the territorial government. Although the school ‘s enrolment consisted of children whose families lived in the community, for a brief period in 1971 there was a small hostel associated with it, to provide a temporary residence for children whose parents were out on the land. The school was replaced by the Chief Albert Wright School, which opened in 1980.

      Corporate body

      The provision of western education in Nahanni Butte began when evangelist missionaries Mr and Mrs Philip Howard began instructing children in early 1957, without the approval of the Federal government. Summer (tent) school was provided in 1957 and 1958.

      A one-room school building was completed around 1959, but the opening of an official Federal Day School was delayed until 1961 due to staffing and housing issues. This school was transferred to the GNWT when it assumed responsibility for education in 1969 and was eventually given the name Charles Yohin School. The school building has been replaced twice, in 1978 and 1985, with both new buildings being constructed by the people of the community.

      Corporate body

      The DehCho Division Board of Education was established under the authority of the revisions to the Archives Act and the related establishment regulation in 1995. It was renamed the Dehcho Divisional Education Council (DDEC) with revisions to the regulations in 2002.

      The Dehcho Divisional Education Council (DDEC) is tasked with setting policy for the operation of schools within the Dehcho region, with financial decisions and setting broad education goals for the region. Each municipality that has a school also has a District Education Authority (DEA). The DEA is responsible for the operation of the school or schools within it's municipal boundries. The DDEC works in conjunction with the District Education Authories (DEAs) to ensure that provisions of the Education Act and regulations pursuant to the Act are fulfilled. Each DEA must select a member to represent them on the Division Education Council.

      Colbourne, Maxine
      Person · 1934-1977

      Maxine Roberta Colbourne was born in Wyvern, Nova Scotia in 1934 and grew up around that area, near Oxford, Nova Scotia.

      By July 1957, she had moved to Aklavik, Northwest Territories and was working at the Aklavik Federal Day School, where she taught Grade 4 during the 1957-1958 school year. In 1958 she returned to Halifax to attend a summer course and obtain her remaining credits for a permanent teaching license. That fall, she returned to Aklavik to teach Grades 4-5 at the Federal Day School for the 1958-1959 school year and became involved with the school radio station. From at least September-December 1959 she was teaching Grades 3-4 at the Aklavik Federal Day School.

      She then moved to Inuvik to teach at the newly-opened Sir Alexander Mackenzie School (Inuvik Federal Day School), where she taught Grade 4 from 1960-1962, and Grade 6 from 1963-1965.

      As of 1963 she became involved with the Local Association of Guides and Brownies, specifically as a Brown Owl with the second Brownie Pack. She has been remembered as an accomplished curler who also spent a lot of time dog sledding. In 1965 she travelled to Fairbanks, Alaska to attend a curling Bonspiel.

      She became involved with Daniel L. Norris, who was later Commissioner of the Northwest Territories from 1989-1994. Their son, Danny Lee Trevor Colbourne, was born in 1966 in Edmonton. In January 1968 she had a second son (Sean Gregory Harrison Colbourne) with A. Biggs; she continued to live in the Northwest Territories until at least that time.

      In 1968, she and her two sons moved to British Columbia, where she worked at Lower Post Indian Residential School. She then taught at Lejac Residential School for several years in the early 1970s. Her sons attended school there as well. They then moved to Chetwynd, British Columbia, where they lived from about 1974-1977. While living in British Columbia, she took summer courses to upgrade her teacher’s license.

      In 1977, she died of an aneurysm, and her sons went to live with her brother in Nova Scotia.

      Corporate body

      In 1947 the first two federally funded schools were opened in Fort McPherson and Tuktoyaktuk. In 1948, the federal school at Fort Smith opened. In that first year, there were five federal schools with approximately 103 pupils in the junior and senior high school grades. By 1958 this number jumped to 576 pupils in 52 federal schools. 1958 was also the year Breynat Hall, the residence for the high school, was established.

      Corporate body

      The Lac La Martre Community Education Committee is a local, elected body in Wha Ti that determines school policies and directions in relation to the community on matters not directly affected by the Education Act. At the time of this project, the members of the committee were Menton Mantla (Chairman), Jimmy Rabesca, Johnny Nitsiza, Alphonse Simpson, Joe Zoe Fish, and Dora Mantla (Secretary/Treasurer).