Catholic Mission (Fort Providence, NT)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Catholic Mission (Fort Providence, NT)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Also known as: Notre Dame de la Providence (Catholic Mission)

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

In 1861, Bishop Grandin selected a site for an Oblate mission which he called Notre Dame de la Providence. Six years later, four Grey Nuns (Sister Adeline Lapointe, Sister Michel des Saints, Sister Amant, and Sister Elizabeth Ward) and two lay missionaries (Domitelle Letendre and Domitelles Lortie) arrived in Fort Providence to establish a boarding school and hospital. In 1927, a new residential school was built to accommodate students from as far off as Fort Smith and Aklavik. This institution was closed in 1958 and replaced with a new day school named after Sister Elizabeth Ward.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Vaudrack, Paul (1890-1975)

Identifier of related entity

Category of relationship

associative

Type of relationship

Vaudrack, Paul

is the employee of

Catholic Mission (Fort Providence, NT)

Dates of relationship

Description of relationship

Access points area

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related places