Title and statement of responsibility area
Thomas Marsh fonds
General material designation
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Marsh, Thomas
Physical description area
1 folder of textual material
69 photographs : b&w prints
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Thomas Jabez Marsh was a missionary with the Anglican Church Missionary Society. He began work in the Diocese of Mackenzie River at Fort Liard in 1892. In June 1893, the church moved him to a small Dene community at the mouth of the Hay River where he established St. Peter's Anglican Mission. By June of 1894, with the assistance of the local Dene and Sheridan Lawrence, a missionary who had been sent to assist him, a mission house was constructed. This was later transformed into a boarding school that opened on October 11, 1894 with five students. In 1895, the Anglican school at Fort Resolution was closed and all its students were transferred to the boarding school at Hay River. In September 1895, Miss Anna B. Marsh, the sister of Thomas J. Marsh was sent to Hay River to assist him. Miss Marsh was a trained nurse but she also assumed the responsibilities of teacher at the mission. On August 7, 1897, Mrs. Marsh also moved to Hay River to join her husband. By 1900, the mission station was in contact with seven groups of Dene: the Chipewyans, Dogribs, Yellowknives, Beavers, Mountain Indians and the Tukudh. In 1904, a small church was constructed at the mission and a small hospital was added. In 1901, Thomas Jabez Marsh was ordained as a Minister in the Anglican Church by Bishop Reeve. Reverend Marsh continued to run St. Peter's Mission until 1907 when he was transferred to the Diocese of Caledonia. His replacement at St. Peter's Mission was Reverend A.J. Vale.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of 69 black and white photographs that were either taken, or collected, by Reverend T.J. Marsh between 1893 and 1907. There is also a photocopy of a monograph entitled "Historical Sketch of the Origin and Work of the Hay River Mission, Great Slave Lake, Northwest Territories." Most of the images are stored in two photograph albums. The first album contains images taken by Reverend Marsh between 1893 and 1907. The second album contains photographs taken by C.W. Mathers, a professional photographer from Edmonton, who toured the Mackenzie River communities in 1901. There are also some loose images taken by Reverend Marsh. The images depict traditional Dene and Inuit lifestyles in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Subjects include mooseskin boats, scows, dog teams, skin tents and kayaks. Many of the images document the development of St. Peter's Anglican Mission at Hay River. There are photographs of the church, boarding school, mission staff and the students who attended the school. A number of images depict Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) posts and the steamers and scows that were used by the Hudson's Bay Company to transport goods in the north. Locations include Fort Good Hope, Fort McPherson, Fort Norman, Fort Providence, Fort Simpson, Hay River and Peel River. The records have been arranged into three series: Series I - Reverend T.J. Marsh photograph album; Series II - C.W. Mathers album; Series III - Reverend T.J. Marsh.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No access restrictions.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid is available.
No copyright restrictions. Photographs are in the public domain.